SEO (Search engine optimization) is an essential tool for marketers looking to build an online presence for a brand. SEO can improve organic traffic, bring leads and push your web pages higher in search engine results. SEO planning and analysis have become an integral part of a marketer’s schedule. SEO strategy involves On-page SEO, Off-page SEO and technical factors. The goal is to ensure that every page on your business website is search engine friendly, has the most relevant content and takes you closer to your business goals.
What is SEO?
Moz defines SEO as “Search engine optimization (SEO) is the practice of increasing the quantity and quality of traffic to your website through organic search engine results.” In its simplest form, SEO involves determining the audience for each web page, the topic or goal for that page and the target SEO keywords that you want to focus on. SEO strategies and tactics must be aligned with the firm’s marketing plan and overall marketing strategy. Seo strategies, however, cannot remain static. As the web grows and search engine algorithms change, SEO Analysis and Optimization must keep up with these changes.
The Key Elements of SEO
There are four elements that marketers must focus on to optimize their web pages.
- Technical SEO: This element ensures that search engines can read your content and crawl (or explore) your site. There are several specifications that are to be considered such as index, speed, website structure and if the webpages are optimized for mobile.
- On-Page SEO: This involves establishing a content structure for the website. Optimize URLs, meta descriptions and page titles. Use SEO optimization of content with appropriate keywords and strong calls to action.
- Content: Content should inform prospective buyers about what your business is about and why they should use it. It should help customers solve their pain points and achieve their business goals.
- Off-Page SEO: Off-page efforts are directed towards building authority. The main tactic of this element is link building and creating relevant content to link to.
Benefits of Using a SEO Checklist Template
Using an SEO checklist allows you to measure your SEO efforts and ensure that every element of your SEO strategy is implemented. You can:
- Analyse every page of your website and ensure that it aligns with SEO best practices.
- Keep track of various SEO elements.
- Optimize every piece of content you write.
- Standardize SEO efforts and strategies.
Step by Step Guide to SEO Management
1.Conduct an SEO Audit
An SEO audit will give you information about the current state of your website, You can learn about the current performance on search, engagement on social media and number of internal/external links. This can help you identify what needs to be fixed and what needs to change. Understand where your pages fit into the present hierarchy. Review your URLs, page titles and meta description.
2.Find Relevant Keywords
SEO management begins by understanding what your prospective customers are searching for and what information they require. Keyword research is the second most important step in SEO analysis and optimization. Use a root keyword to begin research. You can use Google Adwords-keyword planner. There are several other paid and free tools available. It’s important to look for long tail keywords with low competition. You can also use Google autocomplete to get a better understanding of what people are searching for.
3.Optimize On Page Criteria
Update or add appropriate URLs. page titles and meta description. Ensure that you use the target keywords in your page title and meta description. Ensure that the above three parameters conform to their ideal length.
For page titles use this format -”Keyword Phrase+Context”. This format will help readers understand the purpose of the page. Meta description should be a short description of what your page contains, Do not copy content word for word from your webpage for this. Also, ensure that text on your page is formatted and appropriate heading tags have been used.
Alt tags for images should also be optimized. They should describe the image so that the web page becomes more accessible to search engines. Alt tags also enable the visually impaired, as screen readers read out this text.
Content on your website should be clear and answer your prospect’s questions. Your content should educate your user and establish your business as an authority in the market. Here are some SEO tips for content.
- It should be unique, compelling and written for your target audience.
- It should be easy to scan and is divided into subsections.
- Use the target keyword in the first 100 words of your content to boost relevance.
- Keep a check on your word count, as longer content ranks better.
- Use semantic keywords.
- Update and republish old blogs.
- Use strong calls to action on every page to improve conversion rates.
Quality trumps quantity when it comes to linking. Use keywords in your anchor text, but do not overstuff. It should help people navigate your website. Ensure that you link to other pages on your site with relevant content and also link to other external resources. Check all of your content for broken links on your website. Too many broken links lead to a bad user experience.
6.Make your Site Responsive
Site responsiveness is an important factor that affects SEO. It depends on how user-friendly your website is, page speeds and site structure. Mobile searches have overtaken desktop searches, so ensure your site is mobile friendly. Ensure that you supplement content with the right visual content to improve the user experience.
7.Focus on Off-Page SEO Efforts
Off Page Seo efforts are directed towards building credibility and authority. There are three main areas of focus:
Analyse inbound links and try to accumulate high authority inbound links. Check your competitor’s inbound links and see if you can get similar links. Try getting links with .edu or .org as these are powerful. Don’t build links too fast, Google algorithms may notice and penalize.
This channel can also direct traffic to your website and improve SEO. It can be used to increase brand awareness and engage with customers. Maintain active social media pages. Share latest news, your published articles and your views. Encourage and invite people to like, share and engage on your social media pages
Online reviews can create valuable inbound links and also enhance your SEO optimization efforts. Work on generating positive reviews from customers who are happy with your product. Keep tabs on what people are saying on leading review sites. Create a communication plan to counter and respond to negative comments.
SEO is not a complex process. You just have to focus on the key elements of SEO and use a structured process to optimize every page on your website. Use this SEO checklist template to scale greater heights by improving your search rankings and building a powerful online presence.